Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Wedding Aftermath: Getting back to Chimping.

Just shy of a month after #jorgensenwedding2015 and things are almost back to normal. Throughout the entire wedding process I always said "It's just a day. It's just 8 hours of your life, No reason to get so worked up and wrapped up in something that is shorter than how long I sleep. Yes, it's exciting- but it's just another day." My way of trying to not get too excited, because I knew the days after would be so sad. And guess what THEY WERE.

Sad because for a brief moment in time, I had all my favorite people in one place. I know if we all lived in that house forever we would probably hate it, but for that week it was just about the best thing in the world. I wish we could all get together once a year and just hang out, but most people probably wish that too. 

"So, how does being married feel?" Literally exactly the same. I think most people forget that Lars and I are coming up on our 10 year anniversary of dating in March, and although being married is exciting- we've been living together for 4 years and dating for 10. Finally being married feels good- I love calling him my husband, knowing that we finally signed a piece of paper legally binding us forever... but as far as day to day operations go, it's pretty much still the same. We still do rock/paper/scissors over who has to scoop the cat boxes. We still play "If you drive I'll buy dinner" and other such games. I'm still picking up his dirty socks he leaves under is chair. But, I wouldn't change a thing. And if getting married is truly what makes you over the moon happy- then you should probably take a closer look at your priorities. (just saying)

So, the house is still a mess. I'm slowly but surely working on thank you cards, and possibly suing my caterer. But HEY. WE DID IT.

The hardest part about wedding week (and month) was that I didn't get to see the Cle Elum 7 as much as I normally do. Upon returning to the chimp house after a long while I like to just sit where most of the chimps are hanging out. Until Jamie sees me and demands a walk or a grooming session- I like to just re-acquaint myself with the personalities and surroundings.  Check on previous injuries, familiarize myself with new ones, get a good look at everyone's hair/face/body, check out any new enrichment/structure, etc. Lately Missy has been coming up to me right away to ask for grooming, which is awesome and heartwarming all in one as Missy is one of the chimps who takes a while to warm up to humans. 

If you've been following this blog long you know that I talk to/about the chimps as though we are the same. I think it's important to note that that is my typical behavior with all non-human animals. In my house, the dog and cats are just as important and their needs are just as important and ours. When the cats are sitting in the chair, I sit on the floor. (A little extreme, but I also enjoy sitting on the floor.) Raleigh gets a variety of fresh fruit and veggies (and sometimes cheese) in his breakfast/dinner. (Would you like to eat the same thing every day for every meal for your whole life? No. No you wouldn't.) When I'm eating in front of the animals I offer them a bite of what I'm eating. (Mostly because I think it's rude to eat in front of anyone without offering some.) Ducks, birds, bugs, etc all get spoken to as though they were people. Some people might think that's a little drastic or unnecessary, but I truly believe that all members of the animal kingdom understand each other. We all share this one planet, and it's just as much mine as it is theirs. 

Lars and I are currently in the process of fall cleaning, which is a lot like spring cleaning except we do it before the cold comes. Mostly, we are getting rid of excess clothes we wont need in Africa and getting down to the essentials. Lars and I, whether we both like to admit it or not, are attached to our clothes, more so than other objects in the house. We are both stubborn about getting rid of things, even if they have holes or are ripped, or what have you. So, it's proving to be a little difficult. Now that we made it through the wedding, whenever we are cleaning or shopping the question is always "Will you need/use that in Tanzania?" and if the answer is no or maybe, we hold off or throw it out. Sizing down is actually really fun, but mostly scary. Once you have the pile of things you don't need or don't use, you just look at it like "holy shit, I'm a total packrat." I LOVE IT. Lars is learning to love it. Ha. 

This Thursday is Annie's 41st birthday, and I'll have more updates then. 

July marked 3 years volunteering at Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest and it is and continues to be my favorite place in Washington. I wouldn't trade my days there for anything. The next project is to get Lars to graduate to caregiver before we move to Tanzania! 




No comments:

Post a Comment