Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Secret Friends aren't so secret anymore!

It's impossible to have a "favorite" chimp at CSNW. Everyone has their own personality and parts of me get along with each chimp in a different way. For instance, Jamie loves walking and going on as many walks as she can squeeze out of me throughout the day. With Jody, I'm lucky if she gives me a morning greeting- the rest of the day she couldn't be bothered. 

Despite the no favorites rule, I can't help but be extra sensitive/aware of my relationship with Annie. Not to sound all hippie/spiritual/the universe is watching me-ish but there is something about Annie that I just connect with on a inner emotional level. I love all the chimps with all my being but I feel like Annie and I have this unspoken agreement, involving our secret friendship. I know, weird. I also feel this way about my sweet princess Butters. I love all my furry kids, but Butters and I have an understanding. Example: during the day when the dog is out and her new cat brother is casing her/ demanding all my attention she pretty much keeps to herself. She loves climbing to the upper most corner of the closet and spending most of the day asleep. In the evening and early mornings when I'm the only one awake, she will paw at the bathroom door until I let her in, demand some petting and then just sit with me in there. She just enjoys being near me, not touching me all the time like Jasper must be doing. 
I feel like Annie and I have a similar story, when others aren't around or demanding I take a walk, we get to have a few moments together. No, it's not always interacting with each other on a physical level. Most of the time it's just being near each other, which is often my favorite time. 

As many of you know, Jamie loves shoes and feet. She often likes to groom my feet/shoes after we walk. Yesterday after a two in row trip around the hill, we went into the greenhouse to inspect my boots and eventually feet. In a happy and unexpected turn of events, Annie sat down next to Jamie, and as soon as she saw my foot, was all too happy to grab a tool and do some grooming herself. (as you can see in this video)



This is awesome and unexpected because a) Annie is wanting to groom me in front of another chimp, which HARDLY EVER HAPPENS. b) Jamie is being *SUPER* cool about it. Sometimes, Jamie gets frustrated when you are interacting with her and you try to interact with someone else. Examples include threat barking, and the good ol' fashioned poop throw. So, when I offered Annie my foot to groom, I asked Jamie first if it was okay. We took turns, which is a very important fact to note. 

Despite my keeping it *relatively* cool, I was jumping up and down when I got home. "LARS GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY" screaming as soon as I walked in the door. It's moments like that I feel like Lars is in love with me and also scared of me. 

and of course, here is the boss lady getting the sock lint from between my toes. We do not negotiate with dirt. 

So, a pretty exciting day! So happy that Annie and I are creating more of a bond, and Jamie is okay with it. 

In the Jorgensen home: another huge goodwill haul in prep for Tanzania living. I love getting rid of shit we don't need! It's such a liberating feeling. I recommend everyone do it. AND WE ARE STILL GOING! Still finding things/talking myself into getting rid of things, oh man. It's a never ending cycle I tell you. The idea that the bigger home you have the more shit you fill it with is actually, frighteningly true. 

Getting rid of things and earmarking certain items for storage and must go with us is very scary. I'm 100% excited and in love with the idea of living in east Africa, and I'm also 100% sad to leave some of the wonderful people I've met here. The human need for change but our hesitation to it would be a great thesis, if anyone is bored and wants to look into that. I'll take those findings, PUHLEASE. 

Going to the fair this week, Lars and I have a shift at the chimp house on saturday, and our kids are continuing the tradition of keeping us up until 2am scratching themselves, chasing each other and being loud in general. 

Loving every second though. <3
B


No comments:

Post a Comment