Thursday, June 5, 2014

TCOB- Takin' Care of Business.

Well, now that we are all caught up on my not so lucky May, lets get back to business. 

After what feels like forever but is actually not even close, I have finally reached level 3 training at Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest (CSNW)! I honestly could not be more excited. The past 6 months I was in Phase 1 of Level 3 training, and this phase consists of 
*Readings (general chimp knowledge and background)
*Observation (caregivers verbally explaining what they are doing/how they are interacting with the chimps)
*Tests (quizzes and knowledge on the Cle Elum 7 themselves, and general chimp trivia.)

Last week I took the tests and passed! (PRAISE BUDDHA) 

I know what you are thinking:
"But Becca, why were you worried about passing the tests? Don't you know everything ever about chimps and primates?" 
*blushing*
Why thank you kind loved one, to think I know everything! LAWLS. I definitely don't know everything there is to know about chimps and primates, every one of them has their own personality, its like saying I know everyone in the United States and what their favorite ice cream flavor is. (for those of you who like mint chocolate chip, I like you more.) I was worried about the tests because I have this weird test taking problem ever since college. In school, specifically with Anthropology, the one thing I really really cared about doing well in I would get horrible test anxiety and second guess every question and panic like a small child lost in the mall of america. 
And because I care about the chimps and the sanctuary more than nearly everything else, taking the test was a little rough. 
(pretty much me)

SO. Now I am officially in Phase 2 of Level 3 training, which is broken up into 5 sub sections. (LORD) In approximately 6 months (give or take) I will be a Level 3 caregiver! I'll have more updates and pictures after monday, my next shift. 

On June 2nd I ventured into Seattle with LFJ to listen to Lissa Ongman talk about her work with chimps. 
(Above is Lissa at the CCC located in Guinea)
She is a pretty awesome person in Seattle doing some amazing things in the non-human primate community. The CCC (Chimpanzee Conservation Center) is a rehabilitation center in Guinea who help raise orphaned chimpanzees and release them back into the wild. One of 2 programs in the world to do so. 

I simultaneously love and hate her. She's definitely someone to look up to; having traveled to the CCC at 23 and for the last 10 years has been watching and helping chimps grow up and venture back into the wild. 
cough cough (dream life) cough. 

In my own sanctuary news, I am currently brainstorming a name and location. Two major steps that seem easy enough, but once you start its REALLY FUCKING DIFFICULT. For example: 
"I love Washington with all my heart and soul but the weather could be warmer more often for the chimps somewhere else.." 
and 
"Well I love Great Chimpanzee Project (horrible name and literally just made up on the spot, not a real option I assure you.) but The Center for Great Apes is already in Florida and I want the name to stand out but not be too weird.." 
and 
"Do I want to rescue just chimps? what about monkeys? maybe chimps and gorillas? all great apes? no monkeys?..."
I feel a little like Alice falling down the rabbit hole, but in the best most exciting way. 

In completely unrelated news, a dear friend/boss/coffee shop owner/work mom took our engagement photos. 
*squeals*
It was a perfect example of a regular day in my life: 
I had worked at the sanctuary all day, on a particularly rough day; Jamie just so happened to be in a grumpy mood and was throwing poop at the caregivers. I thought "of course, the one day I want to look a little nice I'm going to get covered in poop." 
ALAS , the gods were looking down on me that day and I escaped poop free, but trying to get home was no simple task either. I-90 was backed up all the way to Cle Elum and there I was: 78 degrees out, no water in the car because I was in such a hurry and one box of the driest cheez-its in all the land. (1st world problems, am I right?)

And yet somehow I managed to get home, do something with the birds nest on my head, put a dress on and Mama Finca captured my favorite pictures of Lars and I to date. 
Funny how things work out, huh? 

That's all for meow! 

(don't forget to check out chimpsanctuarynw.org/blog for updates on my chimpanzee family. 

LURV.
-b



No comments:

Post a Comment