Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Getting Spit On- Perks of the Job.

Just because I can, I'm going to start with this picture of Annie, taken from CSNW's website. 
One of Annie's identifiable features is her right ear, which has a notch taken out of it. Her hair on the back of her neck is also almost always standing up, another way to identify her. 

and I just love this photo of her. <3



By now, it should be no surprise that the Cle Elum 7 are exactly that; a group of 7 different beautiful individuals who have 7 different personalities. Just like humans, getting to know people and feel out different personalities is sometimes awkward, and a little stressful. 

In becoming a Level 3, I am at the most basic level, inserting myself into the hierarchy that the chimps already have in place. I'm putting myself at the lowest spot on the totem pole, even lower than that really, until the chimps have accepted me as a part of their group. In the wild, female chimps leave natal groups for new ones, and are either accepted or forced to move on to find another group who will accept them into the hierarchy. Most females are accepted pretty easily, as the males see another partner and usher them right in. Sometimes the alpha male can upset group chemistry by accepting a new female as his own right away, and creating tension between existing females who probably felt like a newcomer came in and stole the highest ranking spot. (usually not likely, as the highest ranking female ain't got time for that. She knows she's still in charge, regardless of new ladies coming in. New ladies also normally pay respect to the existing hierarchy.) 

ANYWAY, being the lowest on the totem pole, I am automatically the target for what I affectionately call "chimp hazing." It's exactly what it sounds like. I'm the least familiar face in the chimp house and when there is tension, anger, or someone just gets bored and needs to remind me who's in charge, I am the first to get hit with whatever. Spit on, poop, etc. Monday was a pretty good day in the chimp house, Jamie was feeling a little angry, but I managed to escape the day without her trying to throw poop on me. Foxie was the one who needed to remind me what was what. 


Here's miss Foxie (or Foxie Lady as I like to call her) taken from the CSNW website again. whoops.  I recognize Foxie mostly by her face. I can't really explain it, but like humans I've been around the chimps long enough that I don't need to look for certain marks like Annie's ear, or the patches of grey hair that Missy has. I can look at Foxie's legs and know its Fox. For the untrained eye you can usually tell it's Fox because she has a troll doll or a dora doll in her had or riding on her back. 

Foxie and I haven't really tested the waters yet with our friendship. She is really close with caregiver K, so they play anytime she is in the chimp house. Foxie was the first chimpanzee to ever spit on me the first time I met the Cle Elum 7 2 years ago. So I guess I can't really be shocked when she spits on me now. Serving lunch and observing Lisa, we were almost about to leave and Foxie gives me one last reminder of where I am in the hierarchy. It wasn't that bad, because usually the chimps will go to the water spigot and fill their cheeks, and then drench you. Fox only had a little spit, but she got me right in the face. As caregivers, we do not react. In sanctuary life, the chimp house is the chimp house. I'm visiting their home. So when they spit or throw poop, we never raise our voices or reprimand them. Lead caregivers usually have a report with Jamie, as she's usually the poop thrower and it sounds something like this: 
"ahh, sorry James! I know I know, but I had to close the door. I'm sorry. Good aim though lady, you got me. You got me good. I'm sorry I'm sorry." 
*walks into human area*
"look alive, Jamie is not having it."

Usually I just give a head nod (a submissive behavior to say I'm not here to cause trouble) and a quiet "sorry" as I've possibly done something to upset a chimp and I'm not allowed to address the chimps directly yet. And move along. Clearly when Foxie spits on you, she's done looking at you. 

Why did I get spit on while just observing lunch? Good question, and your guess is as good as mine. I'm a strong believer in the chimp hazing aspect, and once Foxie and I feel out our relationship I should be safe from getting soaked. I also could have been smiling too much, and smiling in chimp culture is a fear grimace and denotes aggression. I also could have unknowingly used body language that suggested I was threatening; eye contact, making myself bigger, leaning forward towards the caging without being invited, etc. Because it wasn't my first time at the rodeo and I'm pretty good at modified behavior while with the chimps, I'm going to go with chimp hazing as my final answer.  

Sorry for the lack of photos this week, it was a busy monday and I wasn't wearing anything with pockets. for shame. 

The question I've chosen at random this week is: 
"What is your favorite thing to do while visiting the chimpanzees?"
The easy answer is everything! I even love doing the chimp's laundry. 
The actual answer is watching a meal. I can't wait to be able to serve meals, but in the mean time I love sitting out their with them while they eat. There's something so wonderful about 7 smacking mouths and food grunts that makes you appreciate being so close to our closest non-human relative! I also really love making meals and seeing who gets really excited about what food. 

You guys rule the school. 
In other completely unrelated news, we ordered our save the dates this weekend. 
here's a sneak: 
love it love it love it. 
Now I have to figure out how we can incorporate chimps at the wedding. I'm thinking ice sculptures? 
okay, clearly bed time. 

lurv lurv lurv.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment