Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday, Monday.



There are a lot of memes out there about how terrible Mondays are. Like, A LOT. Even though I have to wake up hours earlier than I do for my "9-5" job to drive over the mountains, I love doing it. This morning I left a little earlier than I needed to, so I explored Cle Elum's nature before I got to the chimp house. 

(ignore the butt of my car, so I'm not the best photographer to walk the earth. JUDGE ME.)

I feel very fortunate that my Mondays are spent with 7 of my favorite primates on this earth. 

Anyway, a lot of people ask how boring it is drive over the pass so frequently, and is it hard to stay awake. The easiest answer is yes and no. Annoying right? I'm honestly so excited every time I go to the sanctuary that whether I've slept for 8 hours or 8 minutes, I am pretty awake the whole way over. The worst part (or used to be now) was that the only radio station that comes in once you get to a certain point outside of Seattle, is country. If anyone knows me well at all, you will know my complete hatred for country music. I can't explain why, nothing tragic happened while I was listening to Rascal Flatts one day or anything, I just have never liked country music. Now that Lars and I are sharing a car, he has a fancy little doo-hicky that I can plug my phone into and listen to my spotify (which is mostly EDM and House music, in case you are wondering.)

Lately, in some strange turn of events, I like to unplug my phone and listen to the country that comes in. There's just something about getting into town at 8 in the morning where the speed limit is 25 and listening to country music that just makes you appreciate the nature and quietness around you. I can't even explain it, and it honestly scares the shit out of me, but there you go. I'm digging country music now. *help*

Sanctuary life was pretty normal today, below is breakfast. The chimps usually have a smoothie for breakfast and a few other fruits along with their vitamins and meds if they are taking any at the time. 


 Below from L-R is Annie, Jamie (on the blue chair) and Foxie enjoying some breakfast. 


Because of the water issue today, we did spot cleaning in the playroom. To conserve water we did have we sprayed the areas that were really in need of scrubbing. Below is Neggie's nest. I personally think she is the best at making nests because of all the chimps, she spends the most time sleeping and laying around. Her nests are usually wrapped together so tight that when I move them to clean, they don't come apart. I push them off the edge of the upper platform and it falls and makes a very loud THUD as it hits the ground, Neggie's nests are no joke.  As the oldest member of the group, I think she has the most right to spend her days snoozing.  

Cleaning the playrooms on a nice day is quite the task. Not only is it very warm in there, but I have adorable Burrito watching and waiting to come back inside and see what kind of food forage we have left for him. 

Below is Jamie checking out some streamer in the greenhouse as I clean the playroom. 



 Here is Burrito in the same window as before, only now he's taking a little siesta. 

And here is the lunch I prepared: Bell peppers, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. 

Today was a little weird with the water situation, and the chimps had water bottles to drink out of for most of the morning until the water came back on. Even the way they drink their water is unique and different from one another. Missy drank water from the bottle much like a human, with one hand bringing the bottle to her mouth and pouring some in. Seconds later I watched Annie try a different tactic, putting her mouth over the top of the water bottle and squeezing the water up into her mouth, much like a juice box. I love catching little differences like that in the chimps. 

While observing the chimps today Burrito was displaying, which caused the other chimps to move downstairs in the playroom to leave Burrito upstairs making vocalizations and throwing things around by himself. Every once in a while is vocalizations would get louder, turn into screams and you would see him fly by on the upstairs catwalk; hair standing on end, bipedal and running towards the closest chimp. All the chimps would scatter out of his way and Burrito would become quiet again for a little while only to display and run around some more. Although Burrito is lower on the hierarchy at CSNW he often displays and makes lots of noise and chases the girls around for a few seconds, only to be put back in his place by one of them. Why? I honestly don't know, but if I had to guess I would say he just wants everyone to remember that he's the only dude in the place, and sometimes its hard. :) (I mean, you try being the only guy living in a house with 6 ladies.) 

In Jamie hazing news, no poop has yet to be thrown at me but she did spit water all over me once the water was back and working in the playroom. I'm not allowed to interact with her yet, so while we were observing the chimps she asked for my attention many times and I could do nothing but head-nod at her and continue sitting there. (which is really hard, let me tell you.) so after many times of my no response or play with her, she walked over to the spigot and filled her cheeks and soaked me. Which, I was told was just a "welcome." :) 

Busy busy monday. 
that's all for meow. 

-b

No comments:

Post a Comment