Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lets talk about chimps baby..

Alright, let me start off by apologizing for that hideous title. It was the only thing I could think of. (In case you have been living under a rock for the 80s, 90s and 00s its a reference to "Lets Talk about Sex" by Salt-n-Pepa.) HORRIBLY INAPPROPRIATE I KNOW but I couldn't for the life of me think of another title.

I got an email request to speak a little more in depth about apes and language use, as it is one of the staples of a being with a higher intelligence level. So, I'll let you in on what I know about.

Next of Kin by Roger Fouts is (in my opinion) the best book on chimpanzees and language use. While I do know of Koko, the gorilla who used sign language, I don't know as much as I do about the Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute (CHCI) based in Ellensburg, WA. 

                    *BECAUSE IT ANNOYS ME: I feel the need to jump on a soap box for a moment and tell you that the book next of kin is based on Washoe, who was the first of the soon to be 5 chimpanzees who used sign language at CHCI. The chimpanzee on the cover of this book who is also permanently tattooed on my left arm, is not Washoe as many people believe. It is my sweet girl Moja. So, when you google Washoe sign language and you see that picture, now you will know that it is actually Moja.

This is Washoe. <3 
ANYWHOOZER:
 Washoe was adopted as a young chimp by the Gardners for their research to see if an ape could learn a human language. She was cross-fostered with the Gardners son, meaning she was raised along side him like a human child. She was the first non-human primate to learn a human language. THE FIRST. If that doesn't shock and amaze you, I don't know what will. 
well, probably lots of other things but whatever. 

Around 1980 Washoe moved to Ellensburg with the Fouts' to being the research with apes and human language. Later Moja, Tatu and Dar joined the family and all learned sign language and began speaking to each other and human caregivers. Washoe was the matriarch of the CHCI family, and her journey was truly a remarkable one. When Washoe lost her first baby, she was then given Loulis, to hopefully adopt as her own child.  Once she adopted him as her own, the researchers decided they would not sign in front of him to see if Washoe would teach him sign language on her own, without caregivers to aid. And as the story goes, Loulis was the first non-human primate to learn a human language from another non-human primate. AMAZING. 

What I enjoy most about the CHCI project (besides the fact that it was another huge first in primate research) is that the research is oriented around the chimps and not the other way around. The researchers and caregivers put the chimps needs first, and when the chimps don't want to sign anymore, the researchers are done for the day, instead of pushing and pushing the animal just to get results. The program at Central is the best in the country, and I can't even wait to participate and obtain a masters degree. 

If I wasn't so head-over-heels in love with conservation and evolutionary studies, non-human primate communication would be a very close second to study. I think communication across the animal kingdom is beautiful. Even though it sounds ridiculous, I think all animals can understand what I am saying, even my dumbass dog and snobby cat. I know the chimps can understand my words the same way I can understand their body language. Although Tatu and Loulis are the only two of the 5 chimps from CHCI remaining and have moved to Canada to live out their lives in a sanctuary, I am eternally grateful to everyone at CHCI for their work, the chimps for their amazing abilites and lessons and I will always remember meeting each of them at CHCI and signing about HUG/LOVE and SHOES. (and in Tatu's case BLACK, which was her favorite color and also the word she used for "cool" or anything she was super interested in.) 

Here is Tatu signing BLACK (index finger dragged over your brow) 
So, there is my bit of knowledge about the CHCI program. Beautiful things happened. Totally awesome.  

much HUG/LOVE (arms crossed in x over your chest) to all ya'll. 
-b






No comments:

Post a Comment