Thursday, February 6, 2014

APEtitude

Coming up with a name for a blog is hard. I mean, you try to pick something personal to you, that means something, and as you funnel through all of the domain names already taken, it's almost your mind ordering memories and people are most to least important. 

WEIRD.

So, I've decided to start this blog. Chimpin' Around- My Life with Chimpanzees. An ode to Jane Goodall's "My Life with Chimpanzees." Why am I blogging now? I've tried blogging in the past and it has been a horrible path of posting two things and then never looking at it again. I think it was because I was selfishly blogging about my life, (which will still happen) but now I want to do a little more than updates on how many times I said I today. SO: WHY NOW? WELL I'M SO GLAD YOU ASKED.

a) Everyone asks me on a daily basis what I want to do with chimps, where I work, where I want to work, etc. So now I have a place to give updates!
b) I read probably 1-3  books a week on travel, africa, chimps, gorillas, primates, anthropology, biology etc. and lots of my friends want to know what I'm reading and if they should read it, so now I can keep up to date on good books that are helpful for general and more specific knowledge.
c) This blog will serve as a place to learn basics. Basic chimp knowledge, basic swahili (as I'm learning it!) basic conservation stats. 

Because (and I know you aren't supposed to start a sentence with because but FUCK THE RULES) I love chimps so much, I want others to understand why. To learn along with me, so maybe one day we can all work together to conserve our next of kin. 

SO: In here you can expect: 
Updates on the chimps I'm working with. 
Travel things as I go to Africa and study chimps.
Book recommendations.
Lots of profanity. Because I can. 
Basic chimp facts and stats. 
Minor (hopefully) updates on my life. (IE: applying/going to grad school, losing my mind, peace corps, playing with chimps, getting married, tattoos, SHENANIGANS.) 

Please, feel free to check in from time to time and learn a little something, or just laugh. I mean, I think i'm pretty funny. 

-B.

No comments:

Post a Comment