Friday, May 22, 2015

My confident boss:

One of my favorite aspects of volunteering in the chimp house is being an observer. To many, interacting and playing with the Cle Elum 7 probably seems like the best part of being there; and while that is very fun and an amazing experience truth be told I would rather sit back and watch the chimps interact with each other. Watching how everyone reacts to Burrito doing a display, watching Annie and Missy chase each other around the playroom, watching Jamie take something a part to use certain pieces for a specific task; all of it is my favorite to watch. Often I just sit quietly on the floor and watch, take notes and just be in the chimps presence. If I walked into the chimp area looking for play every time they would probably get pretty annoyed of me really fast. If I walk into an area and the chimps are grooming and/or playing I just sit and soak it in. If someone actively walks over to me to groom or play then I'll join in, but only if a chimp is asking. 

The hardest chimp, arguably, to just observe is the boss Jamie Chimpanzee. I walk into the chimp area, quiet as a mouse, to sit in the corner and just observe what everyone is doing and 90% of the time she immediately struts (not walks, she never just walks) over to me to investigate my shoes or socks or pants, etc. 
I mean, look at this glamazon. Photo by EK @ CSNW.

Jamie spent almost a decade of her youth living with humans, so it's no wonder that she is exceptionally fascinated with what we are wearing or what projects we are working on, or that she can solve problems in a fraction of the time that some of the other chimps can. A good portion of her youth she probably watched humans doing all kinds of weird things like washing dishes or typing or trying on clothes, and I'm sure she learned a lot of her problem solving tricks in those days, if there's any positives to come from that situation.  Imagining Jamie as anyone's pet  makes my stomach hurt. This glamazon boss I'm lucky to see a few times a week belongs to no one, and if she were a human she'd probably be that one friend who kicked guys to the curb left and right because no one is good enough for her. And you would reply with a "Amen, sister." 

Jamie's confidence never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes I think what CSNW would be like without her there. Who would be the boss? I truly can't imagine any other chimpanzee at the helm of the group. I have so much love and respect for that lady, and I am so lucky to get to spend so much time with her. 

Last week I went to the chimp house on Monday and Thursday, and it's amazing to see how the chimps react to seeing someone more than once a week. Missy and I played chase for a solid 10 minutes. B and I played tug of war and chase for 20 minutes. Annie gave me a quick and wonderful hand tickle before I left. Negra and Jody are the only two I've yet to really spend time with, but they at least tolerate my existence. The relationships I have are getting stronger and more meaningful, and not just to me but to the chimps as well. Things I live for. 

I purchased a canvas and some paints today, in an attempt to paint a picture of Jamie Chimpanzee. Black and pink paint, her favorite colors of course. <3

I was going to go to the chimp house yesterday (Thursday) but after a long week of the dog being stuck inside, I made it a day for him. We went to the pet store and got some new toys, went to the park 2 times and cuddled at home. Bub spends a lot of time in his kennel when we are not home, as he has dug a hole through the bed a few times, so even though it kills me to not be at the chimp house when I have the time, I know it was a good day for bub to run and play. 

Here's to spending more time outside, purging the old and welcoming the new. 

-b

No comments:

Post a Comment