Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Beginning the next chapter:

I'm realizing that I am nearly 3 weeks behind here, and not for lack of trying. I did sit down multiple times last week to attempt a blog about interacting with Missy and playing with Burrito last Monday but I couldn't find the words. There were too many things I wanted to include on the blog and I couldn't settle on just one so I just skipped it completely. Whoops. Life happens ya know? 

In an attempt to have a secret and a "big reveal" at our wedding, I was avoiding blogging because all I wanted to talk about was something I was trying to keep quiet. If anyone knows me, you know that I am literally the WORST at keeping secrets. Every single gift I've ever given to Lars has been ruined days, sometimes months, before I even give it to him, because I'm just so excited about it. So it's not all that shocking that I was trying to keep a secret until August and it's coming out now. 

Lars and I have set a timeline for a 2017 departure from the US to live in Tanzania, East Africa! Working in national parks, making coffee, working with kids (Lars, obviously.) and learning how to build a sustainable and functioning sanctuary are the goals, and we have no decided return date as we might just live there forever. I'm honestly pooping my pants with joy to return to my favorite place on the planet and start the next chapter of our lives. Soon you'll be reading this blog as I'm writing it from BEAUTIFUL ARUSHA TANZANIA! <3 (Or Manyara, or Kigoma. :)) 

So, stay tuned for updates on that adventure which will be nothing short of crazy and amazing. (And also look out for the million things I'll be getting rid of before we leave the beautiful PNW! including a dog and cat. :( sad sad, but the stress of moving that far would literally kill them. And I love my princess Butters too much to take her diva butt to a country of so much warmth. She's got long hair and will definitely have a heat stroke or 100) I'm calling it the "move back home" as my time in Tanzania was truly the only time I've been 100% comfortable with my surroundings, aside from when I'm with the chimpanzees in Cle Elum. Its the reason I have the Tanzanian flag tattooed on my arm with the word "Nyumbani" over it, meaning "home."

Sokwe Sanctuary may just have a home in Tanzania. We aren't sure yet on the logistics of where we will build, or if we will even need to build at all. We are, however, thrilled to be moving our life to the beautiful continent of Africa. (If Lars had it his way, we would be leaving directly after the wedding.) I have a few other (hundred) things to take care of before we leave though. :) 

As excited as I am about this adventure, I know the one thing that will be the hardest to do is say goodbye to my favorite chimpanzee friends. We have some time sure, but they will easily be my hardest goodbye.  That's why in the coming months I'll be moving my schedule around to volunteer with the chimps 3+ times a week. I love them all with all of my being, forever and always. Even Neggie. <3 

Anyway, apologizes for the lack of blogging. I've sat down multiple times in the last few weeks trying to blog about chimping, but all I've wanted to talk about is my move to Africa. The weather is warming up in Cle Elum and it's been a warm few weeks of spring with the chimps. Missy has been playing chase with me and letting me groom her, B is goofy and playful as usual and Jamie is keeping my interaction time with others in check as usual. I don't have a lot of pictures lately, but here's a panorama of walking with Jamie on Young's Hill from a week ago. 



Nothing better than walking with that lady and enjoying the beautiful view! <3 

This past Monday with the chimps was a beautiful day, and Jamie wanted to walk right away, even though we were just about to clean the play rooms. I said I would hurry and clean and then we could go; and she responded by throwing some poop at me to say : Actually we are going NOW!" K walked with her while the rest of us cleaned. Some days Jamie will wait, and some days she really wants to go right away. (The poop missed me, btw. Attaching itself to the wall above my head.) B and I played some chase and Missy even played a little chase with me as well, except with her version of chase the human moves 90% and she moves 10%. Our game of chase involved her turning around in one of the doors while I had to run through a door, outside, up some steps and into the greenhouse. Clearly, she was working ME out. 

Phew. Glad I got that off my chest! I'm so excited to begin this next chapter, and I can't wait to share all the joy and struggles that come along with it. 

<3
B



No comments:

Post a Comment