Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Strength and Resiliency:

If there is one thing I know to be 100% true, it's that I am strong. Stubborn, independent, impromptu, rash, whatever other words I consider to be synonyms of that word; I am strong. Physically? Well, not so much. I can lift some heavy things from time to time but my physical strength is something like a pot brownie. Powerful, but fleeting. Strong for a few hours and then pretty much useless. (Coming from a person who had marijuana filled brownies once in her life and was pretty sure I was hearing aliens, but whatevs.) My strength is a mental component, something that no one can see but I can feel. And to be perfectly honest, I stole the trait from the Cle Elum 7. 

I've learned a lot in my years with these chimps, and there are some major life lessons I've been taught that I don't think I would have learned without these guys. In particular, inner strength and resiliency. And, a purpose to live. 

I'm not going to tell you a story about a young Becca who was clinging to life, wondering why she was even born. (Although I did at one point write a run away note to my parents to say they were better off without me, lets just chalk that one up to puberty.) Depression is a very real and very serious issue and I don't think I need to explain that in much detail. I was on the verge of depression though, that I can say for sure. I had too many ideas in my head of what I wanted to do and no clear path of which one was the right one. Because of my OCD type A personality I hated the idea of just "trying some out" because "learning by failure" was absolutely not an option. I always had a plan, and deciding what to do with my life was not the time to have nothing but a blank line. 

Then, I volunteered for the first time at CSNW, and after my 3 hour shift of doing laundry, preparing meals and enrichment and making chow bags was over, I sat in my car and cried. This was it. This was what I was born to do. 

Fast forward a few years, and I am stronger and more resilient because of these 7 individuals and I am forever thankful for all they have taught, and continue to teach me. 

If resiliency could be measured, these 7 chimps would have enough to fill the Pacific Ocean. No joke, they could fill 1/3 of the planet. All of the things they've had to endure, it's amazing they are still here. If I were in their shoes I don't think I would have survived. I'm not ashamed to admit that, and if it's a trait we lost in the evolutionary line, I wish I could go back to being a chimp. 

Imagine for a moment that you are in a cage barely large enough to turn around in, separated from your friends. Being poked and prodded, knocked down for injections of who knows what, in a room with no windows. You have no choices. You do what you're told, when you're told. You eat what is given to you, or you starve.  You've never seen the sky above you. You've never touched grass with your bare feet. 

Personally, I don't think many humans could endure that kind of scenario for very long. The Cle Elum 7 did, and that resiliency and strength is one of the most important things I've learned from them. 

What truly amazes me and I'm sure many others, is that the chimps have learned to trust humans again after the terrible things they had to endure earlier in their life. They owe us nothing, and yet they willingly created friendships and bonds with the humans who work and volunteer at the sanctuary. I'm honored to call these 7 chimps some of my dearest friends and I know that these relationships wouldn't be possible without their willingness to forgive humans. Proving the point I've long been trying to make, that I enjoy a chimpanzee's company over a human. Duh. 

Here are some photos I've managed to take in past week: 

B and his toothbrush

Painting with some bamboo:


My painting of B:

If you are lucky enough to have strength and resiliency already inside of you, I hope you can help others find it. If you are still searching for it; don't give up just yet. Sometimes when you feel like you've found rock bottom, things find their way to you. Rome wasn't built in a day you know, so keep going. 

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -Lao Tzu

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment