Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Non-Chimping Monday...wut?

Well, for the first Monday in many Mondays, I didn't go to the chimp house. WEIRD RIGHT. It is for me, anyway. I have what Lars and I like to call "Non-Catholic Guilt" which is exactly what it sounds like: experiencing the "catholic guilt" for not doing something that gives you immense feelings of bad juju, as though you have just told 100 grandmothers that you can't make it to their 90th birthday. I experience this on a daily basis, no exaggeration. My last year of my undergrad when I was taking the full load of classes, working 2 jobs, tech-ing/designing 4 shows at the same time and volunteering at the chimp house I was asked to take on another show. I could not possibly deal with the consequences of saying no because of my "NCG" and the inability to say no to anyone. So I said "Of course I have time!" and I spent September 2012-December 2012 crying almost every night and sleeping probably 2-3 hours because I had so much shit to do. Thankfully, I learned my lesson and have never taken on that much work at the same time. Proving the lesson, "you have to learn some things the hard way." The really hard way. The excruciatingly hard way. Yikes. 

ANYWAY. Fighting the few little voices of the NCG out of my head, my very best squirrel friend, aka life partner, aka Elizabirth, went to Mount Vernon to explore the Tulip Fields. I'm not sure if it was the wonderful sun, the wonderful company or just being in a field of flowers like we've all dreamed of doing since childhood-but it was exactly the reboot I needed. Relaxing does not even begin to describe how it feels to just go vibe with nature. The fields were beautiful, and the flowers were amazing-even without an Instagram filter. As you can see: 





Random/maybe not so random thoughts I'm having: 

Chimpanzees and their freedom from dependency on material objects. 

People who think evolution favors humans, when we spend our lives chasing money and material objects we don't *really* need.

The argument: If we as humans cant even take care of each other, how are we supposed to put time and energy into saving another species? And the inverse of that. 

Collecting moments and not things, in a culture that values the opposite. 

The wedding industry is a giant money sucking scam.

lolz. Sometimes my brain is just a bunch of random thoughts with no end or beginning. Pretty much the ship scene in Willy Wonka that you watched as a child and said "WTF mom and dad. I thought this was a kids movie not a horror film!" 

And on a completely different and possibly unrelated note, with a reluctant and jealous heart, I send one of my dearest friends and mentors Mitchell David Terrence Underwood Mackin Treherne back to the other Washington. He is 1 of maybe 4 people who came into my life and changed it in the best possible way. I met Mitchell in arguably the most transitional part of my life to date, the summer before I went to PLU. I just graduated from a class of 33 and I was about to join 850 other new lutes. Mitchell came dancing into my life (literally) and made me question everything. EVERYTHING. Which is exactly what I needed. He has LIVED and I appreciate his willingness to let Lars and I into his life, as his attitude of how to look at things is infectious.  He is, without a doubt one of the strongest, most inspirational, hilarious, intelligent and attractive humans I've ever met, and I'm so MAD at WA DC for taking him back, but thankful for the 6 years we've had. The hard part is not saying goodbye, but not knowing when our paths will cross again.  In the off-chance he reads this: Mitchell, I fucking love you. I fucking miss you. And I'm always dancing for you. 





SAD SAD THINGS MAN. I hate when people I love move to the next thing. Which is a stupid comment, as that's what people are doing our entire lives. We are just meeting people and letting them go, headed our own respective ways. That's all life is; a series of crossing paths with people, for a little while or a long while. And then you die. 

Heavy? Maybe. 

Well this was all over the place right? Chimps on monday, and a more chimp related blog to follow, I promise! 

B


No comments:

Post a Comment