Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Ellie brings the Drama:

okay look, I really tried to blog when I got home yesterday but let me tell you, I was too pooped. I was in bed trying with all my might to keep my eyes open at 8:15, and I lost that battle. When sleep is calling, I cannot ignore it. 

An old friend came back to the sanctuary on Monday, Ellie the Elk; who I haven't seen in a number of months. Ellie hangs around the sanctuary usually breaking into the compost bin outside for some snacks, or trying to start a fight with the dogs or just upsetting the chimps with her presence. I captured this little video when Jamie and I were trying to take a walk around the hill and Ellie wanted to join us. 




The video is pretty self explanatory, but I did have to cut it off about a minute short because blogger says it was too big. What you don't see in this video is all of the chimps (except Neggie because she doesn't have time for that) giving Ellie a little bit of "what's up" Meaning: all of the chimps want Ellie to know who's house it is. By standing up on two legs, hair standing up and making threat calls, it's the chimps' way of intimidating any unwelcome guests. (Maybe not always unwelcome, sometimes it's just a notice to tell you your behavior is unwelcome.) The chimps know Ellie and have seen her many times, but as you can see in this video, she is a little close to the chimps enclosure which causes them to remind her where she is. After Burrito does a little display dance the chimps break off to go about their day and Jamie and I continue our walk. Ellie follows me around the hill, and on the 2nd time around we reach the bottom of the hill Ellie is there waiting while Annie and Missy keep a close eye. Another wonderful example of how the chimps work together to ward off any unwanted guests. Even if Jamie and Jody were having an off day 2 minutes prior, the second Ellie tries to stick her face anywhere near the chimps they all have the same goal: to show everyone who's in charge. 

(here's a quick shot of Jamie turning around to assist a pilo Jody)

(My "way to go Ellie" face.)

In a not so shocking Monday, Jamie and I did 6 trips around the hill and combined with her walks with other caregivers she did around 11 trips. It's perfect weather for Jamie to do lots of walks on the hill. Not too hot and not too cold, so she takes full advantage of whoever is there to take some strolls with her. I love walking with Jamie towards the end of the day  because she's getting tired from all of her previous walks and will take breaks in between (letting me get a few bites of lunch before she's ready for another go.) But I really love end of the day trips because Jamie will come inside and let me brush her hair for a few minutes. Jamie loves hair; as I've wrote about before and because the chimps are not allowed to groom our face or head, I sometimes just sit with her and brush my hair so she can watch. Brushing my hair, braiding my hair and eventually grooming her for a little while is such a simple and therapeutic interaction between us. How do I know she's okay with me brushing her hair? Typically it looks like this: 
We stroll around the hill.
We come inside. 
I get a brush or comb from the chimp enrichment.
I show Jamie the brush and say " I can brush your hair if you want?" 
She comes over to the caging and either sits with her back to me or she pushes her shoulder/hip up against the caging. Presenting me with which area she would like brushed. 
I comb through her hair while making chimp grooming noises, and she moves accordingly. (when she's had enough grooming in one area she will switch sides.) 
When she's done and/or ready to go outside again she will get up or move away from the brushing. (aka, you KNOW when you are done.) 

Sometimes, truthfully I think she lets me brush her hair because I enjoy it so much. Speculation, obviously as i'm not in Jamie's head. But don't we all go to the hair salon to let someone else do our hair because it's fun? Because we don't want to do it? Because our hair dresser is now our friend and someone we trust to make us look good? Thoughts for another day. 

Jamie is one of the most persistent primates I know, humans included. Which is the main reason I ate my lunch in small doses over 3 hours yesterday. When she wants you to do something, you'll know clear as day. It does make it a little difficult to have interaction time with the other chimps at times. For example: Burrito is a big fan of chase. And tug-of-war. And all games. And laughing. And happiness. So when Burrito starts play stomping at you, its almost impossible to say no. We checked the area for boss lady Jamie and then began a little game of chase. I love playing tug-of-war with Burrito because he will put the scarf or straw under his arms or around this neck to when you pull on it with him, he gets a mini massage. Its quite literally the most adorable thing to see him shaking around, laughing while you play with him. So, I took a quick break from chase to go inside to grab a scarf to tug on with him. Burrito grabs the other end and tugs on it literally 2 times before Jamie comes right behind him, nudges him a little and gives a little grunt, takes the end of the scarf and pulls it from my hands taking all of it into the enclosure, telling me playing with Burrito was absolutely over and it was time for another young's hill trip. Right to the point. No beating around the bush. You are done with him and lets get all your attention back on me okay. Yes mam. There are days when Jamie doesn't mind you playing with Burrito or passing a troll doll with Fox, but it is always polite to ask permission if she's in the vicinity. #mannersmatter


Here's a pretty normal chimp lunch: fresh yummy veggies. Yams, peppers and celery. Jamie prefers red peppers, Neggie won't eat the peppers unless the yams are gone but Jamie wont eat the yams until after the peppers. The things you learn. 

Until next time fellow primates! 
-B




No comments:

Post a Comment